Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving in Twinkle Town

This Thanksgiving my family and I spent the holiday at our deer camp in Star City, Ark. If you don't know where Star City, better known as "Twinkle Town", is-- well it is a small town in Southeast Arkansas.

The last time I was at deer camp I was probably 10, and running around catching lizards and listening to my Walkman. It hasn't changed much over the years, it just looks much smaller. My sister has always been the hunter of the family, so she goes with my dad all the time. I am not patient, still or quiet enough to be an expert deer hunter. I would much rather go duck hunting! I love it but I never get to go. My dad goes with all of his buddies and I am "not allowed" (as he says) because I am a girl. Not fair.

Anyway, enough about that--I decided to go hunting with my dad on Thanksgiving morning. I was feeling pretty lucky and I woke up at 4:45 a.m. anyways, so I figured why not. The weather wasn't the best for hunting. It was hot, windy and raining but I was determined to kill a deer. We had been on the stand for about two hours and hadn't seen anything. I'm pretty sure all that was on my dad's mind was Thanksgiving dinner because he was mentioning leaving way to early.

Just as we were about to leave two deer came out of the brush. This was my chance. I got my gun situated, pulled the trigger and missed--just kidding, I killed my first deer!!!  I was excited, especially since I hadn't been deer hunting in years. I think the rest of the family was a little bit jealous because I got a deer and they didn't.

The rest of the days are deer camp where spent 4-wheeling, watching movies and eating. I picked up the nickname Mario, because everyone thinks I am a crazy driver on the 4-wheeler. In my opinion, they are just too careful. I was glad the family decided to spend Thanksgiving at deer camp. It was nice to get away and relax. I was also glad to spend some time in the woods with my dad!







No comments:

Post a Comment